Post-Secondary School Confirmation
You are confirmed to start Post-Secondary School right away. Your detailed handouts are attached below. Before coming to your first class, please ensure that you have read all the information below.
Please enter via the main entrance at 388 Carlaw Avenue between the two Canadian flags - come in and down a few steps to your left. Follow the signs to get to us. This is the only entrance in the building that we are allocated - please ensure you do not use any other entrance or exit as there are other dog businesses in the building whose dogs may be considered a danger. See here for more details on parking and finding us.
Before your class
- Ensure your dog is well; dogs that are showing signs such as coughing, sneezing, lethargy, diarrhea, vomiting, etc...should not be admitted to class. If your dog has contracted an illness, your responsibility is to notify us in advance of the class so that we can make appropriate arrangements. If you're not sure, call us before bringing your dog in! Better safe than sorry.
- Prior to coming, we require you to read our School Etiquette by clicking here.
What to bring
- A mat or blanket on which your dog can settle.
- A stuffed Kong, marrow bone, Bully Stick, or other long lasting chew that entices your dog in a busy environment. We have great ideas - click here.
- A treat pouch (we sell these at the school or you can bring something similar from home)
- Approximately 250 soft, pea-sized treats (a FULL Ziploc baggie for example) - bring more than you think you will need. Please do not bring kibble! Kibble will not suffice for your dog in this environment! Need treat ideas? Click here.
- A durable tug toy for your dog.
- Your clicker (if you did an online Orientation please ask us for yours at your first class)
- A properly fitted harness & a 6’-8’ flat leash (no retractable leashes allowed!)
Please come prepared for class! When you arrive on your first day, wait for our signal and then find a "private suite" and engage your dog in a calm/quiet activity on their mat. Please do not allow your dog to engage with other dogs in the room just yet as we may have DINOS in the class.
If at any point your dog shows signs of reactivity or anxiety, (including but not limited to excessive barking) we will assist you in helping them feel more comfortable, however if after 10 minutes your dog is still showing these signs, we will release you to take your dog home to recover and will follow up with a phone call within 48 hours to discuss other options for training (private lessons). We do not cover this concern with this curriculum however we do have other programs that address this common concern specifically and are here to support you.
There are 5 class themes and depending on the group, we may switch up the order of some of the behaviours or classes in order to ensure a more customized approach for your dog, despite the group setting:
RELAXATION - GO TO MAT / OFF-LEASH INTRO / HEELWORK
ATTENTION CUED BY THE ENVIRONMENT - SAY PLEASE / LIFE REWARDS / DOOR MANNERS / WATCH THE DISTRACTED HANDLER / LOOT AT THAT / HEELWORK & RELEASE
ATTENTION CUED BY THE HANDLER - WHIPLASH TURN / OFF-LEASH RECALL / LEAVE IT / LOOK AT THAT WITH VERBAL CUE / GROUP HEEL-WORK
PLAYING WITH STIMULATION LEVELS - OFF-SWITCH / TUG / DROP IT / TUG AS A REINFORCER / STAY WITH DISTRACTIONS / OFF-LEASH PARALLEL WORK & RECALL / STRANGERS APPROACHING
TIGHT SITUATIONS - THERE'S A DOG IN YOUR FACE / OFF-LEASH WITHOUT BARRIERS / SIDE BY SIDE MAT-WORK / GENERALIZATIONS
Once our class has finished, we kindly ask that you keep your pup on leash and pack up for home - please ask questions during class-time or via remote consultations or private lessons. We may have another class starting immediately and it's important that we respect the next group of students.
These resources are included in your course fee and we ask that you support us as a small business and abide by the "no sharing" condition. This is our intellectual property, available only to our students, and we put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into its creation. Although we wish we could give it away as we strongly believe everyone needs access to this information, we need to pay our bills and fabulous team. So we are asking you to not share. Thank you!
Your classmates depend on you! Missed classes are not credited unless in extenuating circumstances. If you must miss a class, a 30 minute private makeup lesson can be booked for a fee of $50+HST however would not include the distraction-based work with other dogs - it would cover the concepts in the class and a fake decoy dog if necessary.
If at any point your dog is unable to continue in classes, please let us know immediately upon diagnosis so that we can act quickly. Without immediate notification, your classes will not be credited.
During your series, please feel free to connect with us as needed with questions or concerns. If your question or concern is a little more in-depth than we can handle in an email due to ethics or time constraints, please book a phone consultation or private lesson.
We are looking forward to working with you and your dog!