Secondary School Confirmation
You are confirmed to start Secondary School right away. Your detailed handouts are attached below. Before coming to your first class, please ensure that you have read all the information below.
Please enter via the main entrance at 388 Carlaw Avenue between the two Canadian flags - come in and down a few steps to your left. Follow the signs to get to us. This is the only entrance in the building that we are allocated - please ensure you do not use any other entrance or exit as there are other dog businesses in the building whose dogs may be considered a danger. See here for more details on parking and finding us.
Booking class times
You have access to our online class reservation system where you can book the classes you would like to attend. You get 6 classes and 8 weeks to use them starting from your first class. If a class is full, simply add your attendance anyways and if someone cancels, you'll be bumped into that spot! Keep an eye on your email as you get closer to that date!
When booking classes, please be advised that the system creates your pass start date with the first class you book. If you book a class on the 4th of the month and then try to book a class on the 3rd of the month, the system will ask you to pay again. (Don't!) Simply book the 3rd of the month first and then the 4th. Let us know if you have trouble and we can fix it for you in a jiffy!
We strongly recommend that our students book times in advance to avoid missing out and wait listing. If 24 hours prior to our class, we have low registration, we will cancel the class and ask registered students to rebook. We do this to ensure that dogs receive the socialization opportunities they need during learning.
Want faster access to booking classes? Download the app and make us a favourite!
There are 6 class themes and you have 12 weeks to complete all six themes. There is no particular order in which to complete your classes, however, we do not recommend starting with the Vet & Groomer theme if you are new to our school.
- FOCUS / ATTENTION - EYE CONTACT / LOOK AT THAT / HAND TARGETING / SIT FOR GREETING
- RELAXATION - DOWN-STAY /GO TO MAT / ELEVATOR / SETTLE
- IMPULSE CONTROL - ELEVATOR / TAKE IT / LEAVE IT / WAIT
- VET / GROOMER - LOOK AT THAT / LURE TO SCALE / HANDLING / TOOLS
- POLITE WALKING - EYE CONTACT / SAY PLEASE / LEASH HANDLING & MECHANICS / POLITE WALKING / U-TURN / DROP IT
- CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE - THIS IS A FLEX-CLASS - EACH STUDENT CAN CHOOSE A BEHAVIOUR FROM THE "MENU" AT THE BEGINNING OF CLASS AND YOUR INSTRUCTOR WILL WORK ON IT WITH YOU.
Many people like to have the Choose your own Adventure class as their last class so that they can spruce up the skills they feel they need the most "sprucing". It's your adventure - you choose!
Before your class
- Ensure your dog is well; dogs that are showing signs such as coughing, sneezing, lethargy, diarrhea, vomiting, etc...should not be admitted to class. If your dog has contracted an illness, your responsibility is to notify us in advance of the class so that we can make appropriate arrangements. If you're not sure, call us before bringing your dog in! Better safe than sorry.
- Be sure that you are confirmed for the class before you attend. A "wait list" booking is not a definite attendance.
- Cancel your booking with 24 hours' notice if you are unable to attend! If you cancel, someone else on the wait list can attend and fill our class. If you hold the spot and you don't show up, we all lose (the class is still counted towards your pass).
- Prior to coming, we require you to read our School Etiquette by clicking here.
What to bring
- A mat or blanket on which your dog can settle.
- A stuffed Kong, marrow bone, Bully Stick, or other long lasting chew that entices your dog in a busy environment. We have great ideas - click here.
- A treat pouch (we sell these at the school or you can bring something similar from home)
- Approximately 250 soft, pea-sized treats (a FULL Ziploc baggie for example) - bring more than you think you will need. Please do not bring kibble! Kibble will not suffice for your dog in this environment! Need treat ideas? Click here.
- Your clicker (if you did an online Orientation please ask us for yours at your first class)
- A properly fitted harness & a 6’-8’ flat leash (no retractable leashes allowed!)
Please come prepared for class! When you arrive on your first day, wait for our signal and then find a "private suite" and engage your dog in a calm/quiet activity on their mat. Please do not allow your dog to engage with other dogs in the room just yet as we may have DINOS in the class.
If at any point your dog shows signs of reactivity or anxiety, (including but not limited to excessive barking) we will assist you in helping them feel more comfortable, however if after 10 minutes your dog is still showing these signs, we will release you to take your dog home to recover and will follow up with a phone call within 48 hours to discuss other options for training (private lessons). We do not cover this concern with this curriculum however we do have other programs that address this common concern specifically and are here to support you.
Once our class has finished, we kindly ask that you keep your pup on leash and pack up for home - please ask questions during class-time or via remote consultations or private lessons. We may have another class starting immediately and it's important that we respect the next group of students.
These resources are included in your course fee and we ask that you support us as a small business and abide by the "no sharing" condition. This is our intellectual property, available only to our students, and we put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into its creation. Although we wish we could give it away as we strongly believe everyone needs access to this information, we need to pay our bills and fabulous team. So we are asking you to not share. Thank you!
You can change/delete your booking at least 24 hours prior to class time. You can add a new attendance up to a couple hours prior to class time. Missed classes that are not cancelled through the system are not credited unless in certain circumstances (illness, injury, vet recommendation).
If at any point your dog is unable to continue in classes, please let us know immediately upon diagnosis so that we can put your package on hold. Without immediate notification, your package will expire.
Kids in Class
We welcome kids 6 yrs+ in our classes and require all parents familiarize themselves with our guidelines so that we can keep our classes kid-friendly and safe for everyone. Click here to view and ask us if you have any questions!
During your series, please feel free to connect with us as needed with questions or concerns. If your question or concern is a little more in-depth than we can handle in an email due to ethics or time constraints, please book a phone consultation or private lesson.
We offer our Secondary School students discounted private lessons during your class pass (sessions must be used prior to pass expiration date to avoid adjustment in fee!)